11.04.2006

Knitting in Egypt



I returned from Egypt last night. I took my jacket with me, and I'm almost finished. When I left 10 days ago I was up to the stripes following the third gusset on the back. Now, I'm knitting the first ridge of the collar. Not bad! The only thing I did not enjoy about taking this along was that it's really hot in Egypt, and having a big wool jacket on my lap was a drag. Now that I'm back in Amman, I need this jacket. Tomorrow the high will be 54 (Fahrenheit). I think winter is nearly here.

All in all I've enjoyed this project. It's easy to work on. It doesn't go quickly or anything, but I appreciate that if I'm going to knit for 2 months solid that I have a project I can work on that doesn't require me watching each stitch I knit.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good!
I'm curious: do people knit a lot in Jordan and Egypt? Do you get a lot of glances or questions when you knit in public? I found that in the US I often get comments or start a conversation because of the knitting, while in the UK no one ever says anything. I wonder how things are over there.
BTW, did you get the pattern from a book or did you buy a kit along with the pattern from Hanne Falkenberg?

4:43 PM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

I still can't figure out how this will look when done. From the standpoing of a non-knitter, it just looks weird so far...

9:05 PM  
Blogger فرانسيس said...

I've never seen anyone knit in Egypt or Jordan, but people spin and weave all the time, so I don't think anyone is curious about knitting. In a country with a sizable pastoralist population, there is an appreciation for good fiber that is completely lacking in the States.
My husband gave me this kit for my birthday back in May, and I made myself wait until I left for Jordan to start the project. I wanted to return home with something that reminded me of my time here.
When this is done, it will look like a big cape with arms. It's blocking as I type!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home