9.19.2005

Alka Faroese-shaped Shawl





I finished this shawl in record time. I began this project just over a month ago, and finished it on Saturday night. I knitted a pair of socks for a friends birthday during that time as well. It is made of just slightly more than two skeins of Shimmer (alpaca/silk) from Knit Picks. I think it's the Morning Mist color, or something like that. I had to tie on the thrid skein half way through knitting on the edging, so this could easily be made with only two skeins. It's the Alka pattern from Myrna Stahman's wonderful book of Faroese-shaped shawls. This book is a wonderful resource for any knitter. I have made an Alka every summer for the last 3. The lace pattern is supposed to look like tulips, but I think they look like arrowheads. Either way, these are wonderful projects. The shaping of the shawl makes it just stay put on the shoulders; there is no need to pin it closed. In reading Stahman's book I became interested in the dressing wires she used to block her shawl's. I googled Zonta Dressing Wires, and came across the Zonta club of Boise. I downloaded their order form, and sent off my order. Over a month later, I received my check back and a letter explaining that they don't make the wire kits any more, and they told me to contact Stahman directly because she was selling them. I e-mailed her, and she responded quickly. She informed me that she in fact does not sell them, but she fowarded me e-mail to a nice lady who is possibly going to begin selling them in October of this year. Way to go Zonta club! Take your order form off of the web!! I was wanting the wires in time to block this shawl. So, wireless, I decided to use my circular knitting needles instead, and I think they worked quite well! Try it yourself! I'm really pleased with the result. It took me only about 45 minutes and a few dozen pins instead of hours and zillions of pins to block the shawl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home