3.01.2006

Shetland Scarf








I finally finished my Shetland scarf. I started this around November 2005. I took it to Jordan with me where I thought I'd finish it. I even brought the second ball of yarn I was so optimistic. In the end, I just carried the extra yarn across the world and back for no reason. I ordered two skeins of Alpaca Cloud in the Peppermint colorway from Knit Picks. I have knitted so much with their lace yarn now that I really believe 1.2 skeins make a perfect scarf. But, this morning I decided that exactly one ball was perfect, and I finished it. This made finishing the scarf much less stressful. Usually when I'm nearing the end of an epic project I start to spazz out from the excitement and I tend to drop stitches, or otherwise mess the thing up. I didn't do that here.
I made the pattern from a book of Shetland patterns I have. I put the edging with the middle, and I decided to knit the edge as I went. I knitted 8 repeats of the edging, turned it on its side, and knitted the body and two edges as I went. This morning I knitted along the top, and grafted my remaining 8 stitches. Since there was nothing to bind off, it blocked really well. I pinned it out about 4 hours ago, and it dried fast despite the fact that it is pouring rain here. I really like this yarn, and the heathery colors add to the texture of the scarf. When I was in Jordan working on this scarf I dropped a bunch of stitches. Usually I'm impatient and I pick up stitches from anywhere until I have enough to continue knitting. This time, I spent an entire day frogging and re-knitting. For once, there are no mistakes in this garment. It was worth it.

4 Comments:

Blogger فرانسيس said...

Wow, that was fast. I do sell things on occasion. Thanks for the compliment!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Miss Carousel said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! i love the soft pink tone to this. super-softie looking!! :)

4:00 AM  
Blogger فرانسيس said...

Thanks!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Miss Carousel said...

Okay, so I think you check this more than your phone or email, so I'm leaving a message for your here.

How are you? Can you call me when you get a chance? I came by your office yesterday but missed you. We need to catch up! :)

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home