3.30.2011

ACU Bags

I also made two urgently needed bags on my epic quilt-cation. I had some heavy cotton fabric from Ikea, and I have 4 ACUs. I got one of my ACU tops and I cut it up and made a computer bag and the purse below.

At first I was really hesitant to cut into my old uniform. I don't know why. But when I was in the Army, I really liked the shoulder pockets because they perfectly fit my iPhone and its bulky charger case. So I took the pocket with my unit patch (yeah, I said "unit"), and built a purse around it (see below), and cut out the back of the ACU to make the front of a perfectly-sized computer bag.

My mom got this amazing sewing machine and I embroidered the camo fabric and the Ikea fabric. How cool! All I had to do was change the threads when the machine told me to.

New purse with perfect phone pocket on the outside.

And a custom epi-pen holder on the inside, also from recycled ACUs. I also recycled the credit card holder from the Kipling bag I used for the last decade.

I like how the little bird peeks out at the front of the purse. So pleased!

2 Comments:

Blogger copernicus721 said...

I love your bags. Is it easy to work with the Ikea fabric? I've been wanting to try it out. I miss you!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Your unit patch on the outside pocked may encourage stalkers. Do you really want some of your neighbors to follow you?

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home